Saturday, June 30, 2007

All About Marie - A Dream

I had a young and pretty lady aged around 25 living with me along with her two year old child born out of wedlock. She was easy going, adaptive and full of street smart and uncommon wit.

During the day, Marie would stroll down the neighborhood with her child. Most of the neighbors would play with the child and chatted with her. At the end of the leisurely walk, she usually brought back some household items like bags of candies for the child, mop or broom and pots and pans for her.

She had a not-too-popular habit of borrowing things from the neighbor and then later on insisted that she was given the items as gifts. Since she was a single mom, most of us were sympathetic of her situation and we just let go of it. One day, she told me she was going to shop on supermarket, but when she came back, instead of on foot as usual, she rode on this shining red scooter with all her groceries somehow magnetically adhered to the scooter. I could see cartons of milk, juice, cereal and all kinds of baby foods piled up high on the scooter. I asked her how did she get the scooter, she just beamed with a big broad smile.

I was annoyed with her when she brought some street people into my house and insisted it was a right thing to do. I scorned her for not consulted me first. She usually got away with many things fully aware of her power of charm and wit. All of us suffered from Marie Syndrome. We all loved her and hated her at the same time. The last scene in my dream was that I vehemently argued over her selfish and notorious behavior that generated lively gossip in the community.....

=====================================
I awoke from the middle of argument feeling incredulous of why that I dreamed of a person that does not fit into my present life personality. I certainly appreciate the charm of that lady, but no one in my life has this kind of dynamic persona that I can relate to. Well, you can say that dream content is sometimes way out of league with our physical reality. But who knows? I can not be certain that our physical reality is the only reality in the universe.

" The great Taoist master Chuang Tzu once dreamed that he was a butterfly fluttering here and there. In the dream he had no awareness of his individuality as a person. He was only a butterfly. Suddenly, he awoke and found himself laying there, a person once again. But then he thought to himself, "Was I before a man who dreamed about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being a man?"

No comments:

Post a Comment